Department of Malayalam has had a humble beginning as a second language with Prof. Devasya as the first teacher of Malayalam at St. Xavier’s College. Fr. Thomas Vattakkunnel SJ laid strong foundation to the existing system while the college was upgraded in the year 1977. Prof. V. Madhusoodhanan Nair the eminent poetand Prof O. Indira Devi joined the Department in 1979.During those days the department was handling only additional language classes for pre-degree and degree students. Dr. Iris Koilio and Dr. LekhaNarendran joined the Department in the early years of 1980. The undergraduate course in Malayalam and Mass Communication with translation as Auxiliary course was commenced in the year 1998 as a restructured course and later it wasreclassified as a career related course under CBCSS in the year 2010.
Research Activities in the Department
Guides of Department currently guiding Ph. D scholars
1. Dr. Lekha Retired in 2012 (3 scholars doing research 1 awarded Ph.D)
2. Dr. Iris Koileo (4 scholars doing research)
3. Dr.T.K.Santhosh Kumar (7 scholars doing research)
One minor research project is completed by Dr.Iris Koileoin march2015 with the sponsorship of UGC
National Seminars conducted by Department of M& MC
1) National Seminar on “Communication for Integration and Development” in June 2005.
2) National seminar on “Popularity and Credibility of New Media” in October 2014
Activities in the Department
Students of each semester has to prepare assignments and present seminars in each course.
Experts are invited to offer Seminars and workshops for students on Creative Writing, Radio journalism, Photo Journalism, ‘Film study and Research methodology etc.
We publish a lab journal named Dhwani as part of acquiring practical knowledge in publishing.
The department has launched an extracurricular activity through Media Club. Renowned Media persons and Famous individuals interact with the club members.
Film Festival and Film appreciation Sessions are organized to impart practical learning skills
Students are taken out to visit various media firms like AIR, Doordarshan, Legislative Assembly, Chithranjali Film studio, Media firm and other Institutions to study their Hierarchy and Public Relations Work.
Final Year students are taken out for three days study tour.
Students undergo a mandatory internship of one month duration in the 4th semester in some reputed Media related organizations for a hand on experience.
Students work on a chosen topic and prepare and submit a project for viva-voce at the end of the VIth Semester.
- Dr. Sudheesh V Sam
- Smt. Nitha A B
- Smt. Remya P P
Publications of the Faculty
1. Madhyama Nayam Indiayude Samagra Vikasanathine Published By Department in 2006
2. PenmayudePorul by Dr.LekhaNarendran published by Department sponsored by Poomukham in 2011
3. Pakshiyudepattu- poetic Translation of Rumi by Dr. Iris Koileo-Media House -2011
4. Patarunnamashichalukal –collection of essays- by Dr Iris Koileo Media House-2013
5. Stree –ParisthithiAdhikaram-by O. Renuka –Media House-2012
6. Nava kathakrithukal –padanavumPadavum by Dr,T.K.Santhosh Kumar, -Rainbow Books-Chengannur-2002
7. Yethratholam-Poems by Dr. T. K. Santhosh Kumar, Current Books Kottayam-2004
8. Cinema arudethonnalane-film studies- Dr,T.K.Santhosh Kumar, Parithi Publications TVM-2006
9. KazhchayudeRasantharam-Film Criticism- Dr,T.K.Santhosh Kumar, H&C Thrissur-2010
10. Camera-Poems- Dr,T.K.Santhosh Kumar, Rainbow Books Chengannur 2011
11. Chuttulumoroswargamthazhnuthazhnuakalumpol-literary criticism Dr,T.K.Santhosh Kumar, SPCS - 2011
11. TharishuNilathilekavyasancharikal-Poetry criticism- Dr,T.K.Santhosh Kumar, Bhasha Institute -2013
12. K.P. Appan-Biography Dr,T.K.Santhosh Kumar, -Bhasha Institute 2013
13. Malayala Television charithram-Media History- Dr. T. K. Santhosh Kumar, kerala Press Academy-2014
14. Navamadhyamangal – Janakeeyathayum Viswasyathayam, Media Study, Edited by Dr T K Santhoshkumar, published by Dept of Malayalam & Mass communication, St Xaviers college, Thumba - 2015