The Department of Economics was established only in the year 2001; Economics as a discipline was taught as a core subject for pre-degree classes along with other sister disciplines such as History, Logic and Civics from the early days onwards. For some years the Department had handled Managerial economics also for Commerce students. Dr. K. V. Joseph, an eminent professor and Member of Kerala Public Expenditure Review Committee at present, was the Head of the Department since 1966. In the year 1982, Smt. Jessy Joseph and in 1986 Sri. K .J. Joseph became part of the Department. Sri. Burney Sebastian Louis joined the Department in 1991.
Highlights of the Curriculum
- A strategically planned framework of activities for both academic and human quality enhancement.
- Effective introduction of the Jesuit vision of excellence in the higher education of students, particularly students from marginalized communities, through intellectual, moral and social advancement.
- The well framed syllabus for effective teaching, entrepreneurship, skills and training in soft skills.
Learning and Departmental Activities
- National level as well as department level seminars
- Interaction with eminent scholars, including professors from foreign universities.
- Smart class
- Group discussions, debate, mock viva, etc.
- Semester wise class PTA convened for all classes for evaluating the academic performance and personal behaviour of each student in the department.
Awards and Honours instituted by the Department
|#||Name of Award / Trophy||Organization / Agency Instituted||Purpose||Year|
|1||Smt. Jessy Joseph Endowment Ever Rolling Trophy||St. Xavier’s Economics Alumni/ae||Inter-departmental Tug of War||2013|
|2||Dr.K.V.Joseph Endowment Golden Jubilee Ever Rolling Trophy||Economics Faculty||Inter-departmental Quiz Competition||2015|
|3||Rev. Fr.Sunny Jose S J Endowment Golden Jubilee Ever Rolling Trophy||Economics Faculty||Inter-departmental Cricket Competition||2015|
|4||Prof. Burney Sebastian Louis Endowment Golden Jubilee Ever Rolling Trophy||Economics Department (Batch 387, 2011-2014)||Xavierite of the Year||2015|