Thomas P John
Assistant Professor and Head - Department of History
Address: Pazhemannil, BNRA- 77C
Benedict Nagar, Nalanchira.
- M.A -MG University Kottayam, Kerala
- B Ed. - Kerala University
- M.Phil - Madras Christian College, Madras University
Secured 1st rank for MA with 1st class from MG University Kottayam
Completed research leading to Ph.D under the Faculty Development Programme of the UGC 12th plan period.
Total Teaching Experience
- Started teaching career in 1996 as Junior Lecturer in BAM College(Aided), Thuruthikkad, Pathanamthitta
- Taught at MG College Androth Island, Lakshadweep, India
- Taught at Govt. Girls HSS Aluva
- Taught at St.Mary's HSS, Pattom, Thiruvananthapuram
- Taught at St.Mary's HSS, Kottarakkara
- Taught at St. John's HSS, Nalanchira, Thiruvananthapuram
- Working at St.Xavier's College Thumba since 2011.
Achievements/ Awards/ Scholarships
1. PTA Scholarship 1990-91, Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta
2. Best Outgoing Student award 1990 – 91 ,,
3. Dr. C N Mathew Endowment Award during the year 1990-91 ,,
4. Teacher Fellowship Grant of UGC under its 12th Plan period for two years from 2016 to 2018
5. Was honoured by the Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta and awarded with a certificate and Memento of recognition for high standards of excellence in the University Examinations. on 8th of March 2013in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations of the College.
Orientation/ Refresher courses attended
- Attended an Orientation Programme to Programme Officers of Red Ribbon club organised by the KSAIDS Control Society on 19th Nov.2011.
- Attended 22days Refresher Course in History from 27th January to 17th February 2012 conducted by the Academic Staff College, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- Has successfully completed 7 days Orientation course for the programme officers of the National Service Scheme organised by the Empanelled Training Institution for NSS (Empanelled by the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, Govt. of India) at Rajagiri College of Social Sciences ERnakulam.
- Has participated in the UGC Sponsored Orientation Programme (IT Oriented) conducted by the Academic Staff College, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Trivandrum from 01/01/2015 to 28/01/2015 and awarded A Grade.
Research Papers Published
- Research article entitled Human Rights of the Marginalised – A Case study of the Lepers in Kerala was presented in the National Seminar on ‘Protection of Human Rights in Kerala’ organised by the Department of History, Christian College, Chengannur sponsored by the UGC on Sept. 23rd and 24th, 2011 and published in its proceedings. Page Nos. 43 – 48.
- A scholarly article named Archbishop Benedict Mar Gregorios and the Marginalised in Kerala was presented and published in the XXXIII Annual Session Proceedings of the South Indian History Congress held at Thiruvananthapuram, in February, 2013 with ISSN No. 2229 – 3671, Pages 314-316.
- Research article entitled Sensitising Traditions – the St. Thomas tradition of the Syrian Christians of Kerala was published in the Peer Referred Research Journal ‘Review of Social Sciences’ Vol. XVIII, Issue No. 1 & 2, No 1, January-June 2017 with ISSN 0974-9004, published by the Kerala Academy of Social Sciences, on 1st January 2017, Page Nos. 5 - 14,
- Research article entitled Is Caste System Prevalent among the Syrian Christians of Kerala ? –A critical Analysis is published in the UGC approved (Number 43960) Peer Reviewed, Referred Scholarly Quarterly Journal ‘Shanlax International Journal of Arts, Science and Humanities’, Volume 5, Issue 3, January 2018, with ISSN No. 2321-788X, Page Numbers- 65-71.
- Research article entitled Agronomy and Archbishopric: Historicising the contributions of Archbishop Benedict Mar Gregorios in Indian Agriculture and Social Forestry was published in the UGC approved, (No. 44192) Peer Reviewed, Referred Scholarly Quarterly Journal ‘Shanlax International Journal of Ecomomics’, Volume 6, Issue 2, March 2018 with ISSN 2319 - 961X, Page Nos. 53 – 65.
- Research paper entitled കേരളത്തിലെ സുറിയാനി ക്രിസ്ത്യാനികളുടെ ഭിന്നിപ്പിലെ വിദേശ പങ്കാളിത്തം (Role of foreigners in the division of the Syrian Christians of Kerala) (M) was published in the proceedings “VINAYAM 2017’ of ICKS with ISBN No. 978-81-87590-24-6, Page Nos. 64-81.
Seminars/ Conferences /Workshops attended
- Attended a Seminar on Need and Importance of Extension Activities in Higher education Institutions organised by the Loyola College of Social Sciences, Trivandrum on 6th August 2011.
- Participated in the UGC sponsored National seminar on Protection of Human Rights in Kerala, organised by the Christian College, Chengannur on 23rd and 24th September, 2011 and presented a Paper on Human Rights of the Marginalised –A case study of the Lepers in Kerala
- Participated in the U G C sponsored National Seminar on “Human rights and Environment” organised by the NSS College for Women, Karamana, Thiruvananthapuram,in December 2011 and presented a paper on Human Rights and Sustained Development.
- Attended the 33rd annual session of the South Indian History Congress held between 15 – 17 of February 2013 at Trivandrum and presented a research paper titled Archbishop Benedict Mar Gregorios and te Rehabilitation of the Marginalised in the second half of the 20th century
- Has participated in the Seminar on Intellectual Property Rights held on 20th August 2013 at St. Xavier’s College, Thumba, Trivandrum jointly organised by Patent Information Centre – Kerala/KSCSTE & St. Xavier’s College, Thumba.
- Has attended the 3 day National Workshop on ‘Historical Method and Historiography’ organised by the Department of History, University of Kerala on 11th 12th, and 13th November 2013. Has been awarded ‘A’ grade at the workshop
- Has attended the UGC sponsored National Seminar on Reflections on Communalism in India: Past and Present organised by the Post Grauate Department of History & Research Centre, Sree Narayana College, Chempazhanthi on 21st & 22nd August 2014 and presented a paper on Caste Identities among the Syrian Catholics.
- Has participated and presented a research paper entitled The Syrian Christian Diaspora – A Malankara Syrian Cathoilc Experiment in the 20th century Kerala at the 34th annual session of the South Indian History Congress held at the Post Graduate & Research Department of History, A Veeriya Vandayar Memorial Sri Pushpam College (Autonomous), Poondi, Tamil Nadu.
- Has participated in the Workshop on Human Values Development Programme (HVDP) held at Mar Ivanios College, Thiruvananthapuram from 31 October to 1st November 2016 by the AICHE.
- Has presented a research paper titled Defusing and Inciting the Caste Concept among the Syrian Christians of Kerala on 26/10/2016 in the Researchers’ Forum of International Centre for kerala Studies.
- Has presented a research paper entitled Images, Symbols and Settings of the Syrian Christian Folk Arts of Kerala – Margam Kali in the National Seminar on Imaging Images: Art History of Kerala organised by the International Centre for Kerala Studies held on 7th and 8th of December 2016.
- Has participated and presented a research paper entitled കേരളത്തിലെ സുറിയാനിക്രിസ്ത്യാനി സ്ത്രീകളുടെ സാമൂഹികസമത്വം: ഒരുപഠനം (A study on the social status and equality of Syrian Christian women in Kerala: A Study.) in the two days National Seminar on The Role of Women in Social Modernisation of Kerala organised by International Centre for Kerala Studies on December 13th and 14th 2017.
- Participated in the two days National Seminar on A R. and the Values of Renaissance organised by ICKS, University of Kerala on November 8th and 9th 2017.
- Participated in the VINAYAM Seminar organised by ICKS, University of Kerala on 5th to 6th July 2017 and presented a paper titled കേരളത്തിലെ സുറിയാനി ക്രിസ്ത്യാനികളുടെ ഭിന്നിപ്പിലെ വിദേശ പങ്കാളിത്തം (Role of foreigners in the division of the Syrian Christians of Kerala)
- Has participated and presented a paper titled Historicising the contributions of Archbishop Benedict Mar Gregorios in Indian Agriculture and Social Forestry in the one day National Seminar on the topic DAS KAPITAL – Its Dynamic Life of 150 Years organised jointly by the Kerala Academy of Social Sciences, Thiruvananthapuram and the Institute of Management in Kerala, University of Kerala held on 18th November 2017 at IMK, University of Kerala, Kariavattom Thiruvananthapuram.
- Has attended the three day National Seminar on Introspecting Environmental Issues in India: Problems and Solutions organised by the Department of History, School of Distance Education, University of Kerala on 14 – 16 February 2018 at the Senate Chamber, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram.
Positions Held in the College
- Programme Officer of the National Service Scheme of the College for 3 years from 2012 -2015 academic years
- Staff Advisor to the Students’ College Union 2012
- General Convenor of the Programme Committee of the Golden Jubilee Celebrations of the College 2015
- Returning Officer of Election to the Students College Union
- Life time Member of the South Indian History congress
- Lifetime Member of the Kerala Council for Historical Research and Resource Centre.
- Elected Member of the Director Board and President of the ‘Mekozhoor Service Co-operative Bank Ltd. No 1191, Pathanamthitta for five years.
- Co-ordinator of the Red Ribbon Club in the College and organised Blood Donation Camps in and outside the college.
- ASAP Coordinator in the college 2013 – 2015
- Member, Enquiry Commission for Disciplinary actions in the college 2015
- Member, College Level Monitoring Committee.