St. Xavier's college Library was established in 1964 together with the establishment of the college. Library runs in Arnos Padre Block with a carpet space of 7093 sq.ft. and a capacity to house 250 students. The Library provides print and electronic resources for all academic and related activities of the students and staff. The library has a collection of 28,074 books and 46 journals. Over 161 Educational CDs on different subjects are available for student use. The library is fully automated with LIBSOFT software and OPAC faclity. The well furnushed and fully automated college library is under LIBNET project. INFLIBNET provides used id and password to the users of the library. Reprographic services are available in the UG and PG libraries. Internet facilities are also available An online database of the books and journals is maintained and access to these is provided through five OPAC (On-line Public Access) terminals in the library and a link on the College website.
The Library has Reserve Counters with text books, current issues and bound volumes of journals, reference books, special collections, photocopying services, two peer-learning cubicles for group discussions and study, separate study area for staff, electric charging points, Wi-Fi along with four terminals for internet access and CD / DVD viewing. The library has a plan to initiate an Institutional Repository by digitalizing rare books and college publications. The library is open from 8.45 a.m. to 4.15 p.m. on all working days including Saturdays.
Rules and Regulations
8.45 AM to 4.15 PM on all working days
Issue and Return: 9.00 AM to 3.45 PM
Membership and Admission to the Library
- Admission to the library is restricted to members, but others who are desirous of consulting books in the library may do so with the permission of the Principal and the Librarian.
- Before entering the Library the Gate Register is to be signed and the Membership Card shown at the counter. Private books and personal belongings are to be deposited at the Property Counter. Students are allowed to take only one note book and a pen with them in the reading and reference halls.
- The membership of the library is open to the following categories:
- Guest Teachers
- Non-teaching staff of the college
Use of the Library
- Silence must be observed inside the library and loud talking is prohibited in all parts of the library.
- Use of Mobile Phone inside the Library is not permitted.
- Books should be handled with care. Marking on books is most objectionable and may lead to the cancellation of membership privileges.
Members are eligible for borrowing books from the library as follows:
- Degree Students : 2 books
- P G Students : 4 books
- Teachers : 10 books
- Guest Teachers : 5 books
- Non-teaching staff : 5 books
Conditions of loan
- Period of loan
- Students : 7 days
- Teachers : 30 days
- Guest Teachers : 15 days
- Non-teaching staff : 15 days
- An Overdue charge of Rs. 1/- per volume per day shall be levied if the book is kept beyond the period of loan specified above or fixed by the Librarian. Books will not be issued until the dues have been cleared.
- Books on loan can be recalled at any time irrespective of the period of loan at the discretion of the Librarian and non compliance may lead to the cancellation of membership.
- Loan can be renewed for a further period of seven days if the books are not required by others, but not more than two consecutive renewals are permitted for students.
- Issue register for staff and students are separately maintained in the Circulation Counter where members can personally note down their Membership Number and due date/s of the book/s issued.
- Loan period will not be renewed for books for which reservation for borrowing is received.
- Before leaving the counter the member must satisfy himself as to whether the books lent to him/her are in sound condition and if not, he/she must immediately bring the matter to the notice of the assistant on duty at the counter. Otherwise he/she shall be held responsible for any damage discovered afterward.
- Damage or loss of books on loan should be immediately reported to the Librarian. Members are liable to replace such books or pay the damage/ cost of the book as fixed by the Librarian. If one volume of a set is damaged or lost the whole set may be required to be replaced. No book will be issued to such members till the loss has been made good. They are liable to pay overdue charges as per Rule 5(ii) in addition to the cost of the book upto the date on which the loss was reported. If the book reported as lost is later found out and returned then overdue charges will be levied from the due date.
- Before taking any book or journal for photocopying, permission must be obtained from the library staff on duty.
- Members will get at the time of admission a Membership Card and as many Borrower’s Tickets as the number of books they are eligible to borrow. On each occasion when a book is borrowed a Borrower’s Ticket is to be given at the counter. The ticket will be returned to the borrower when the book is returned.
- The Borrower’s Ticket and the Membership Card are not transferable as they are tokens of privilege which only the member for whom they are issued is entitled to. Sub-lending of books is a misuse of this privilege and is to be avoided.
- Special care should be taken to see that the Membership Card and Borrower’s Tickets are not misplaced or lost. All losses are to be reported immediately to the Librarian.
Clearance Certificate / Non Liability Certificate
- Members have to return all books and clear all dues, before they register for the last semester university examinations or are issued Transfer Certificate whichever is earlier.
- The staff working in the college shall also obtain clearance certificate before leaving the college or retirement.
More details about the library is available in the library website: https://librarystxaviersth.wixsite.com/sxclibrary